Winter is upon us and in order to prevent damage to the beautiful plants and trees in the Palmhouse, the Palm House Crew is holding a work party to bubble wrap the Palm House, and to fleece tender plants! All welcome, no experience needed!
Bubble wrap the Palm House? – What’s that?
In order to insulate the Palm House for Winter 2018 and to reduce heating costs, the Crew are collecting regular packing bubble wrap. This will be applied to the entire glass roof of the greenhouse to hold in heat. We’ll need lots of helpers to get it all up!
Fleece tender plants? – Ouch, does that hurt?
Of course not! In addition to insulating the Palm House, volunteers will be wrapping lengths of warm fleece around bamboo stakes with tops tied together to make warm little wigwams for each of the tender plants – a bit like draping a blanket on a cot!
Bubble wrap – Have you moved home recently? Do you have pieces of bubble wrap of any size that you don’t want to send to landfill? Please donate them to the Palm House team!
Badge holders – Please save and bring to the Palm House any old plastic conference badge holders or travelcard/credit card wallets you may have – they make useful plant label covers!
If you’re able to to help in any way, please contact Lynda or Anne at email@example.com – or just show up! All welcome, no experience needed. See you there!
Can people donate to the solar power appeal without using a debit card on Spacehive? YES!
An alternative which is just like giving to any other good cause has been set up.Although Ubele is the chosen member of the Wolves Lane consortium to handle the crowdfund funds, to ease their admin load we have set up a conventional donation arrangement via a trusted intermediary, the community gardeners’ group Growing in Haringey. Pamela Harling is its treasurer.
Just send your money to the Growing in Haringey bank account which is: ‘Growing in Haringey’ , Sort code 08-92-99, Account number 65409413.
Please label your transfer – on the payin slip or its online equivalent – as <yourname> CROWDF.
Then send an e-mail to Pamela at firstname.lastname@example.org saying ‘I have paid £x into the GIH account for the crowdfund’.
Cheques are also welcome – please write your phone number and/or e-mail on the back and give them to Pamela, Islay, Anne or Loretta when you see us on site.
* Solar electricity to heat the Wolves Lane Palm House, to preserve a much loved public amenity with hothouse plants, koi carp and terrapins for local families to visit and for schools to have nature study lessons
* Sustainable heating for the café, an educational and community meeting space
* Insulation and innovative heat retention measures like compost ‘hot boxes’ to minimise need for artificial heat
* Spare power to sell to the grid to fund other activities on site The Wolves Lane site:-
* Grows organic food, for sale and free for homeless people’s projects
* Houses an organic box scheme
* Trains volunteers in horticulture
* Runs school visits to study plants and food growing
* Provides an event space for community groups
* Is open to the public on Sundays with sales of plants, food produced on site, cooked food stalls and bike repair service
What we’ll deliver:
Use renewable energy to heat the Palm House and cafe
Restore an educational and social space for the local community “